Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Feather Wings Mural

The past few months my students have been making feathers for a group mural. This idea was inspired by my friend and celebrity in the art community, Cassie Stephens! Head on over to her blog and check out her magical art teacher'n treasures at Cassie Stephen's Blog!! Her original inspo was international street artist, Kelsey Montague. Her inspiring murals challenge people to ask the question "What Lifts you"
"What makes your heart Soar?"
My students are going to be writing about their passions and inspirations that "lifts" them! I want each student that comes to my art class to feel as though they are walking out with wings on their back, so they can bravely rise up to their dreams with courage and passion! I want them to feel confident in themselves and know that the sky is the limit! 

 First, students painted on watercolor paper with tempera paint using a value gradient of tints and shades using one color plus black on the left and white on the right. They had to blend the colors so thet the different shades did not look like stripes

One group did primary and secondary colors red, orange, yellow, green blue, and violet. The next group would paint intermediate colors, red-orange, yellow-orange, yellow-green, blue-green, blue-violet, and red=violet


Fourth and fifth graders used 9' by 24' paper and 3rd graders used smaller paper
 the next class, students then traced different shapes of feathers using white prisma color pencils
 and cut them out
then they decorated them with unique lines and designs with white prisma color pencils

 My wonderful and extremely talented student teacher, Naz Kaya Erdal and I layed them out on three large sheets of black butcher paper until the feathers looked symmetrical.
Once we finished the shape, we taped each feather down to the paper with painter's tape 


Then I hung that bad boy with TONS and tons and TONS of staples!! 
The next morning the kids were SO excited to find their feathers turned into GIANT wings!!!


I hope the parents who come to visit will snap a pic in front of the wings and post to #ArtisFly and #riseupandsoar hashtags for social media!







15 comments:

  1. I absolutely love love love this idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...they will soar on wings like eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! This is amazing! Not to be a bother, but I have some questions... How much class time did you spend on this? Three classes? And the feathers they traced, did you draw those? How many templates of feathers did you give them? About how many feathers are there altogether? Did each student make only one feather, or did they get to make more than one? How high up did you hang the finished mural? What did you use to get something so heavy to stay on the wall? How did you pick the shape of the wings? How did you keep them symmetrical, more or less?
    Thanks! This is an incredible idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same questions that I have as well!!

      Delete
    2. I agree ... I love this idea but would love to be able to understand how much class time was dedicated to this.

      Delete
  4. You have done something amazing here! I see others have asked the same things I am wondering about. I would love to do this with our student body (<100 students) K-6.
    Looking forward to your response.
    And THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! Beautiful! Wow! This is the most beautiful and awe inspiring art project for children I have ever seen. So much work involved, but such a payoff. Fills my heart.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beatiful work! I love the colors and the size of these wings! Lovely mosaic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!! Can you tell me roughly how many individual feathers this may have taken. I am going to try to do this for an art show and have a limited amount of time, so I would love to get an idea of how many this took so I can quickly implement and have enough!!! Thanks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have been so inspired, we are trying to use this idea in a collaboration with our Year 7 classes for a special performance they are doing in a few weeks. We're still not sure on some of the finer details on how we're going to hang it, but our students are so looking forward to seeing it all up once it's done. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really good post, loved the idea. Kids seems to have fun and enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing it with us and keep posting

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never comment on these things but today I just feel like saying Hallelujah. God is telling me to just say..

    goldenslot
    สูตรบาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews